Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Sponsored

Features

Buhay Pinay

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Hong Kong News

Community Events

Videos

The SUN Calendar

Community Announcements

PINOY JOKES

Opinion

Tribong Pinoy

>

DIY Travel

>

Balitang Artista

Consulate offers help to OFWs who lost bags on Cebu Pac flights

Posted on 27 January 2023 No comments

By The SUN

One of the distraught passengers was asked if this was her missing bag - it wasn't

 

The Philippine Consulate is offering to intercede on behalf of at least nine Filipino migrant workers whose luggage were lost in transit recently on their return trips to Hong Kong from the Philippines via Cebu Pacific.

The offer of help was made by Consul General Raly Tejada, who told The SUN: “We will make representations po with Cebu Pac.”

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

He gave his assurance as the baggage handler of the airline in Hong Kong reportedly told the affected passengers that 200 bags had been lost or misplaced in the past month, so they are also at their wits’ end trying to respond to queries and appeals for help.

One of those who have been desperately trying to follow up on their missing luggage said she recently received a message from Jardine Airport Services, saying they found “one tagoff baggage in Manila” and asked if it was hers.

Pindutin para sa detalye

But a distraught Michelle Consumo, who last saw her luggage on Jan 4 when she boarded her connecting flight to Manila from Iloilo, said the bag in the photo sent to her was not hers.

She said she called the baggage handler and the staff who answered the phone said they were already under stress because of the complaints they were getting.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Galit na ako kaya minura ko,” she said. (I was already angry so I cussed).

Ano asahan nilang dalhin ng mga OFW from Pinas? Just imagine, yung iba pagkain pa talaga kasi nga kapos sila dito sa pagkain. Sa akin naman lahat doon may sentimental value.”

(What would an OFW bring back from the Philippines? Just imagine, some brought food because they do not get enough to eat. In my case everything in there has a sentimental value).

Boarding passes show one bag got lost as early as Dec 27

There were eight others apart from Consumo who gave details of how their bags got lost in transit, the earliest of which happened on Dec 27.

All said they filed complaints as soon as they realized their bags were not on the same plane they took to Hong Kong, and did near-daily follow-ups afterwards, to no avail.

BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS NOW! PRESS FOR DETAILS

Consul Paul Saret, who heads the assistance to nationals section, said they received only one complaint from a passenger, and her bag had been recovered shortly after the Consulate endorsed her complaint to the airline.

He was told that of the nine passengers who had come forward with their complaints, two managed to recover their bags more than a week after they got lost, but received no apologies from the airline.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

The seven others have yet to find out if they will recover their bags – or get compensated after they are declared as irretrievably lost.

Saret said they will request Cebu Pacific to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

https://leade7.wixsite.com/thesunads/asiandragon
PADALA NA!
PRESS FOR DETAILS

CALL US!

Filipino in Peng Chau shooting charged with assaulting police

Posted on No comments

 

Arimas is restrained after the shooting while the officer lies next to him (HK Police photo)

The 43-year-old Filipino resident who was shot three times on Peng Chau island Tuesday night after allegedly resisting arrest has been charged in Eastern Court with assaulting a police officer.

A police spokesman said a “holding charge” was laid against Oliver D. Arimas who is being held in custody at Eastern Hospital, and was unable to attend the reading of the charge against him earlier Friday.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Principal Magistrate Ivy Chui set the next hearing of the case against Arimas on Feb 1 at the prosecution’s request.

Pindutin para sa detalye

Arimas, who is said to run a beauty parlor in Central, is charged with assaulting a senior police constable at about 10pm on Tuesday inside a subdivided flat on Wing On Street on Peng Chau. He is alleged to have done so with intent to resist his lawful arrest.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

The prosecution asked for the case to be adjourned, saying Arimas was still receiving treatment in Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan.

BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS NOW! PRESS FOR DETAILS

Arimas was shot three times in his right arm, shoulder and waist, after he allegedly tried to strangle the police officer, and tried to push him down the stairs.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Another Filipino, identified by people who know both men by his initials C.S., was released on police bail after being arrested on suspicion of assaulting another officer. The 33-year-old man has not been charged but was ordered to report to police in late February.

https://leade7.wixsite.com/thesunads/asiandragon
PADALA NA!
PRESS FOR DETAILS

CALL US!

Muling giginaw sa Sabado at Linggo

Posted on 26 January 2023 No comments

 

Babagsak sa 10 degrees ang temperatura sa siyudad, at mas malamig pa sa New Territories

Kailangan na namang ilabas ang makakapal na pangginaw, lalo na yung mga lalabas ngayong darating na tatlong araw.

Ayon sa Hong Kong Observatory, babagsak sa 10 degrees Celsius ang temperatura sa Sabado at Linggo, at mas malamig pa nang bahagya sa New Territories.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Mas mababa ito sa inaasahan na ipinahayag noong nakaraang linggo.

Mag-uumpisang guminaw bukas ng gabi, at magtutuloy-tuloy ito hanggang Linggo.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Mananatiling makulimlim ang panahon bukas, at malamig sa umaga.

Ang temperatura ay maglalaro sa pagitan ng 15 at 18 degrees, bago biglang babagsak sa 13 degrees sa gabi.

BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS NOW! PRESS FOR DETAILS

Sa Lunes ay iinit bahagya sa umaga pero mananatili sa 17 degrees ang pinakamainit na temperatura bandang tanghali.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Ang lahat ay pinapayuhang magbalot nang maigi para maiwasan ang magkasakit, lalo na yung mga may edad.

https://leade7.wixsite.com/thesunads/asiandragon
PADALA NA!
PRESS FOR DETAILS

CALL US!

Smart ID card replacement centres to remain open until Mar 3

Posted on No comments

By The SUN

All Smart ID Card Replacement Centres will not close on Mar 3

The Immigration Department announced today, Jan 26, that the last day for applying to get HKID cards replaced at  Smart Identity Card Replacement Centres (SIDCCs) has been extended from Feb 11 to Mar 3 this year.

This was due to the big number of residents who returned to Hong Kong recently to get their old HKID cards replaced, said Immigration in a statement.

From tomorrow, Jan 27, residents may make appointments for identity card replacement at Smart Identity Card Replacement Centres (SIDCCs) for Feb 11, 2023 onwards.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

All SIDCCs will stop operating from Mar 4, 2023. Any eligible person who failed to apply for or collect a new smart ID before this date should do so at a Registration of Persons Office. Details and appointment arrangements will be announced in due course.

Hong Kong residents who are unable to have their ID cards replaced on or before Mar 3 due to their absence from the city may also apply for replacement at a Registration of Persons Office within 30 days of their return here.

Immigration said they need not rush back to Hong Kong to have their IDs replaced. 

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

If they return here and stay for less than 30 days, they will not be held liable for violating the law that prescribes when they should have their identity cards replaced.

After the SIDCCs close, applications for replacement may be made at these offices

But all residents who are in Hong Kong when they reach the age of 11 or 18 should register for an identity card within 30 days of their attaining either age at a Registration of Persons Office. 

If they are absent from Hong Kong, they can apply to have their IDs replaced within 30 days of their return to the city.   

BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS NOW! PRESS FOR DETAILS

Further, Immigration officers will continue to visit eligible residential care homes to provide on-site identity card replacement and delivery service of the new IDs to eligible residents despite the closure of the SIDCCs.

All applicants for ID card replacement may make appointments via the ImmD Mobile Application, the Internet (www.gov.hk/newicbooking), or the 24-hour telephone booking hotline 2121 1234.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Immigration requests applicants to pre-fill the application form when making appointments through the mobile application or the Internet for faster identity card replacement service.

For details, please visit the website www.smartid.gov.hk or call the ImmD's enquiry hotline at 2824 6111.

https://leade7.wixsite.com/thesunads/asiandragon
PADALA NA!
PRESS FOR DETAILS

CALL US!

One Filipino shot, another arrested by police in Peng Chau

Posted on 25 January 2023 No comments

By The SUN

 

Officers check on the wounded man (RTHK photo)

A police officer has fired three shots at a Filipino man while reportedly investigating a noise complaint on Peng Chau island at about 10:00pm Tuesday night.

The man, a 43-year-old man holding a Hong Kong identity card, was conscious when he was airlifted to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan, but was later reported to be in critical condition.

A second Filipino man, said to be 33 years old and also holds a Hong Kong ID card, was arrested on suspicion of assaulting and obstructing a police officer, and is still being detained.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

Two police officers were slightly injured and were brought to Ruttonjee Hospital where they were treated and discharged.

According to a police spokeswoman, a complaint was made at 10:40pm last night about a rowdy drinking party being held in a unit on Wing On Street.

Two officers went up to a flat where a group of Filipinos were reportedly drinking and making excessive noise. The injured Filipino, which various reports said is named Oliver, allegedly argued with the officers, and then grabbed one of them by the neck.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

“The 43-year-old man turned emotional and assaulted the police officer. After a verbal warning, the man did not stop so the police officer shot him,” a police spokeswoman told The SUN, quoting an incident report.

Another report said the officer fell during a scuffle and fired three shots, which all hit the other man in the waist and arm.

The officer reportedly fainted after firing the shots.

BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS NOW! PRESS FOR DETAILS

But there have also been reports from people supposedly at the scene who discounted the police version of the incident.

A female boarder at the 100-square-foot subdivided flat where the incident happened was quoted as saying that no loud party was held at their place last night.

Maricel, the tenant, said she had fallen asleep after getting drunk earlier and vaguely heard a few knocks on the door. She immediately woke up when she heard the gunshots, and saw Oliver lying on the street.

She claimed Oliver, who runs a beauty parlor in Central, rarely got drunk, so she was shocked at the story that he had assaulted an officer which led to him being shot.

But a neighbor gave a different story, saying he saw Oliver being out of control even after the police had tried to subdue him.

The witness said Oliver also hit the officers several times during the incident.

A second Filipino man is led away for questioning

At a press briefing this afternoon, Au Yeung Ki, an acting marine police superintendent, defended the officer’s decision to open fire, saying he felt his life was under threat.

Au said the officers were called to the flat on Wing On Street by neighbors who complained about the noise being made by people who were having a barbecue gathering. The force said it was the second complaint made about the same location that night.

PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE

The man identified as Oliver, who appeared to be drunk, reportedly tried to strangle one of the officers and tried to push him down the stairs. The man did not stop despite warnings, and even tried to take a swing at the officer.

“The officer then fired three shots, and the man was wounded in his hand and waist,” said Au, who noted that the suspect was 1.8 metres tall, and the officer feared for his safety.

“In this situation, our officer followed our use of force guidelines,

“After an initial probe, we feel that the colleague may indeed feel his life was under threat, and he may be seriously wounded. It was suitable for him to use his gun,” Au added.

Reporters were also told that the officer who opened fire had been with the force for more than 35 years, and it was the first time that he had used his service weapon to fire a shot while on duty.

https://leade7.wixsite.com/thesunads/asiandragon
PADALA NA!
PRESS FOR DETAILS

CALL US!

 

Don't Miss