![]() |
| Duterte appeared at the ICC in March last year to confirm his identity |
Jailed former President Rodrigo Duterte has waived his right to attend the hearing for the confirmation of charges against him at the International Criminal Court, citing his refusal to recognize the chamber’s jurisdiction over him.
He made his position known through a letter he sent to the ICC dated Feb. 17.
“I do not recognize the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court over my person,” his letter read.
![]() |
| PINDUTIN PARA SA DETALYE |
“I am a Filipino citizen forcibly pushed into a jet and renditioned to the Hague in the Netherlands in flagrant contravention of my country’s Constitution and of national sovereignty,” he continued.
He called his detention the result of a “kidnapping” facilitated by the Office of the incumbent President of the Philippines.”
Duterte was arrested by the International Police (Interpol) at the airport in Manila on March 11, 2025 on the basis of a warrant issued by the ICC.
![]() |
| See details |
ICC Prosecutors alleged Duterte had committed three counts of crimes against humanity for murders during his war on drugs campaign from Nov 2, 2011 to Mar 16, 2019.
Four days after his arrest Duterte appeared before ICC judges to confirm his identity, and the court subsequently set down the next confirmation hearing for September last year. However, this was delayed for five months due to relentless efforts by Duterte’s lawyers to stop him appearing in court again.
A recent document released by ICC prosecutors named incumbent Senators Ronald “Bato” De La Rosa and Christopher “Bong” Go, as well as former Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II among Duterte’s alleged co-perpetrators in the mass killings.
![]() |
| Basahin ang detalye! |
The court document dated Feb 13 said Duterte and his alleged co-perpetrators “shared a common plan or agreement to neutralize alleged criminals in the Philippines,” as well as those perceived or alleged to be linked with drug use, sale or production through violent crimes, including murder.
Duterte has denied any wrongdoing, and for months, his lawyers had tried to ask for his temporary liberty or get him declared unfit for trial due to old age, to no avail.
The pre-trial hearings have been set for Feb. 23 and 24, and Feb 26 and 27.
In his application to waive his right to appear, in person or online, during the trial, 80-year-old Duterte cited age-old infirmities, and a plea for the court to respect (his) peace.
“I do not wish to follow these proceedings from outside the courtroom through the use of communication technology,” he also said in his letter.
“I do not wish to attend legal proceedings that I will forget within minutes.”
“I am old, tired and frail. I wish for this Court to respect my peace inside the cell it has placed me.”
Duterte said he realized he could die in prison, but his detractors should know that “ my heart and soul will always remain with the Philippines.”

















