Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Mass testing extended to Sept 11, as two Filipino returnees found infected

04 September 2020

By Daisy CL Mandap
 
Officials say the city-wide testing is being extended because of high demand 
Hong Kong government officials have announced the extension of the city-wide testing for Covid-19 for four days, or until Sept. 11, as those who have signed up for the exercise reached nearly one million by 11am today, Sept 4.

Dr Sophia Chan, Secretary for Food and Health, said the universal testing is an important step in the prevention and control of the epidemic, and would be beneficial in the city’s preparation “for the next wave in the winter.”

So far, eight positive cases have been detected from the mass testing, half of them  previously-known infections, and the other half, new cases.


The four cases were among the 12 new cases reported today.

Also included were five imported cases, including two Filipinas belonging to the same family who tested positive while in quarantine. One is 46 years old, the other is 18.

The older patient developed symptoms on Sept 1, and the younger one two days later. They were both staying at the Ramada Hong Kong Grand Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui when they were found infected on their second test.

Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection said the two flew in aboard Cathay Pacific’s Flight CX 906 from Manila earlier.

The infected Filipinos flew in aboard CX 906 from Manila
The other imported cases were an Indonesian domestic worker who arrived on Sept 2, an infant who arrived from Pakistan, and another returnee from Pakistan who transited in Doha, Qatar.

Five of the cases were of unknown source, including the four detected from the universal testing.


Of the two linked cases, one involving a guest at Metropark Hotel in Mong Kok caused serious concern, as he was found to have stayed on the same floor as two previous patients, one of whom died before he could be diagnosed.

“So far, guests in three rooms on the same floor are infected and they do not know each other. We are worried there might be a further outbreak there,” Dr Chuang said.

A fourth confirmed case is a relative of the 87-year-old man who died, and had stayed in the same room. A fifth guest is said to have tested preliminary positive.


Authorities will now evacuate 20 guests and staff linked to the same floor, and move them to quarantine centres. All other guests and staff at the hotel will be given tests.
20 people will be evacuated from Metropark Mongkok after 4 guests tested positive for Covid-19
As previously reported, the two earlier ones were a 63-year-old male retiree who lives in Kwai Tsing whose main outdoor activity was visiting nearby wet markets, and a 22-year-old woman who also did not work and occasionally met up with friends.

The two new cases include a 67-year-old woman who is retired and lives in Jordan, and often went to the Yau Ma Tei wet market. She developed low-grade fever and diarrhea between Aug 18 and 22, but did not see a doctor.

Tunghayan ang isa na namang kwentong Dream Love

The other case is a 46-year-old housewife who may be linked to a previous case in Tai Wai. One day after getting herself tested on Sept 1, she and her husband developed a fever.

Her husband, who is a security officer at the Transport Department, was also tested, and is now classified as preliminary positive.

During contact tracing, it emerged that the husband had met up briefly with a colleague in late August without wearing a mask. This colleague later tested positive for the coronavirus, and Chuang says a transmission might have occurred during their short meeting.

Also at the briefing, Dr Linda Yu of the Hospital Authority revealed that a box containing test samples that went missing from the outpatient clinic of the Tseung Kwan O hospital was taken away by a patient who used it to shield him from the rain, and left in a nearby carpark.

Dr Yu said the hospital has asked those who left samples to get themselves tested again. She also said the hospital is reviewing its procedures for turning over the sample bottles to private contractors, to prevent a recurrence of the incident.

The city’s total confirmed cases now number 4,850, with 94 related deaths. A total of 261 confirmed cases are now in 20 public hospitals and at the community treatment facility in AsiaWorld-Expo. Among these, 26 are in critical condition, 14 are serious, and 221 are in stable condition.
Don't Miss