Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

‘When my time comes, it will come’

02 February 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte said the purported plan of terrorist group Islamic State (IS) to assassinate him doesn’t intimidate him at all.

Duterte brushed it aside as “mere” threats. He said he had been living a “dangerous life” for a long time.

“I’ve been telling you right at the start, when my time comes, it will come. I will stick to what destiny has given. If I go tomorrow, then I go,” he said in a news conference upon his arrival on Saturday from India.

“Assassination? Kung panahon ko na, panahon ko na! (If it’s my time, it’s my time). So I should not be deterred. I should not be discouraged by just mere threats. I’ve lived with it. I’ve been a prosecutor for nine years doing trial work. I live with a—it was a dangerous life then as it is now,” he went on.

An Indian news outfit The Print reported that Duterte was a target of the terror group during his visit to India late last month.

Previously, Duterte repeatedly warned against the possible retaliation of IS after the Philippine troops defeated the Maute extremist group, which laid siege to Marawi City for five months in 2017.

Quoting a security agency source, the India-based news organization reported about intelligence inputs that “the IS has its people and is planning to strike” against Duterte.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the threat was “normal” and assured the public that security measures were in place to ensure the President’s safety.

“The President is aware of it and his security is doing their job as they should assisted by the PNP (Philippine National Police), AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) and all government security forces specially on intel,” he said.

National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. said Duterte knew all along that he was a target of IS but added that the President was not demoralized.

Don't Miss