Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Indo with leukemia tests positive for Covid-19 after stay in 2 hospital wards

23 August 2020

By Vir B. Lumicao

The Indonesian patient stayed in two wards of Eastern Hospital before she was found infected

An Indonesian maid with leukemia who has been confined in hospital since July 27 has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, with health officials finding out too late she was a close contact of an earlier Covid-19 patient.

The helper was among 25 new cases that were reported today, Aug 23, by the Centre for Health Protection. The new cases took to 4,683 the total tally of Covid-19 cases in Hong Kong. Two more deaths were reported, raising the toll to 77.

There were fewer than 10 preliminary positive cases.

Pindutin para sa detalye!

Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the CHP communicable disease section, said the helper, 44, was only isolated on Saturday at Pamela Youde Nethersole Hospital after testing negative previously.

Chuan said the maid’s employer who was also in the hospital did not tell CHP that the Indonesian was her close contact. The CHP learned only about it from a friend of the maid during contact-tracing.

By then, the maid had been in close contact with more than 50 people during her stay at two wards in the hospital. Chuang said all these people will be isolated, as she apologized to the Hospital Authority for the mix-up.

Chuang apologized that CHP did not find out early enough that the Indonesian was a close contact

Six of the new cases were imported, including a 20-year-old Bangladeshi man and a 44-year-old Malaysian crew of a cargo ship quarantined off Lamma Island, where three other seafarers on board tested positive earlier this month.

A 30-year-old Indian mother, her 3-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter, as well as a 27-year-old Indian male, all of whom arrived on an Air India flight on Aug 11, also tested positive while under quarantine, Chuang said.

Pindutin para sa detalye

Also among the new patients were three staff of the Hong Chi Lei Muk Shue Hostel for the mentally handicapped, prompting the CHP to quarantine all its personnel and residents.

Chuang said the three developed mild symptoms on Aug 18, including headache and cough. The hostel has around nine rooms with five residents in each.

A container truck driver at Kwai Tsing Container Port who lives in Tsz Wan Shan also tested positive, Chuang said.

The CHP tested 6,800 samples from the port and the driver’s sample, which he submitted on Aug 21, was found to be infected. Chuang said the patient did not work for Wang Kee Port Services Ltd, where more than 50 staff have so far been found infected.

Chuang said the driver tested negative in July, but a recent test showed he was infected.  He did not use the common facilities at the terminal, which is suspected as the transmission channel for most of the cases.

Dr Lau Ka-hin, chief manager of the Hospital Authority, said that two more patients passed away in the past 24 hours, including an 82-year-old woman whose death was reported last night. The other was a man who died at Caritas Medical Centre also last night.

Tunghayan ang isa na namang Kwentong Dream Love

He said 44 confirmed patients have recovered and were discharged from hospitals in the last 24 hours, bringing to 4,018 patients the number of those released.

A total of 536 confirmed patients are currently confined in 20 public hospitals and at the AsiaWorld-Expo community treatment facility. Of these, 26 are critically ill, 36 are serious, and the remaining 472 are in stable condition.
Call us!

Don't Miss