Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Filipina, 2 Indon DHs among 7 new Covid-19 cases

02 November 2020

By The SUN 

Newly arrived travelers waiting for their test results at HKIA

The foreign domestic workers – one Filipina and two Indonesians – were among seven  cases of Covid-19 reported today, Nov. 1, all but one imported.

The source of infection of the sole local case, a 42-year-old Chinese female detained for overstaying at Mau Tau Kok Immigration Centre, is not known.

The patient was arrested at Oriental Lander Hotel in Mongkok on Sept 28 and taken to the Mong Kok police station. Two days later, she was moved to the Castle Peak Bay Immigration Centre, and then Ma Tau Kok.

Pindutin para sa detalye!

The woman had no travel history during the incubation period so all detainees who shared a cell with her at Mong Kok police station, CIC and Ma Tau Kok, as well as her close contacts, will be sent to quarantine.

Briefing reporters this afternoon, Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan from the Centre for Health Protection said the Filipina, a 34-year-old helper who arrived from Manila on Oct 30 on Hong Kong Airlines Flight HX782, developed symptoms on Oct 16.

Despite this, she was allowed to board her flight to Hong Kong after presenting a negative swab test result as required of all travelers flying in from designated high-risk countries like the Philippines.

After declaring her symptoms on arrival at the airport, she was taken to a hospital for observation and was found positive yesterday, Oct 31. 

Call us!

The first Indonesian, a 31-year-old female, also arrived on Oct 30 from Jakarta on Cathay Pacific flight CX796. She was asymptomatic but was found infected after a test at the Hong Kong International Airport.

The second Indonesian patient, a 30-year-old female was under quarantine at The Charterhouse Hotel in Wanchai when she tested positive.

One of the three remaining imported cases was a 30-year-old male cabin crew of Trukish Airlines Flight TK070 from Turkey who arrived Oct 30 and was under hotel quarantine at the Novotel Citygate in Tung Chung.

Pindutin para sa detalye

The other imported cases were a 30-year-old male from Dubai who arrived on the same day and flight as the Turkish air crew, and an 18-year-old female from Britain who arrived on Oct 30 on British Airways Flight BA207.

The virus is known to spread rapidly when people eat together

There were also around 10 preliminary positive cases reported today, including a cluster of five patients. One of them is a 26-year-old female clerk in Tai Po whose source of infection is unknown.

The other cases linked to her are a 26-year-old male who joined the first patient in an outing with five other peole at Silvermine Beach Resort in Mui Wo where they had meals together.

Tunghayan ang isa na namang Kwentong Dream Love

Another is a 15-year-old male relative of the female clerk who developed flu symptoms, and studies at Fanling Lutheran Secondary School, which will close for 14 days for disinfection.

Two other close contacts of the female patient also tested preliminary positive, including an employee of Cable TV.

Dr Lau Ka-hin a manager at the Hospital Authority, said that so far, a total of 5,096 patients with confirmed or probable infection have been discharged.

Ninety-three confirmed patients are being treated in 19 public hospitals, among whom nine are in critical condition, five are serious and the remaining 79 patients are stable.

Meanwhile, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, Edward Yau, said he is hopeful Hongkongers will be able to start flying to Singapore by the end of November.

Yau, speaking to reporters after attending a TV interview, said details of a “travel bubble” with Singapore that Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam mentioned last week were being finalized by officials.

Travel agencies are most likely to start selling tickets by mid-November, he said. In the initial phase of the travel bubble, at least one designated flight is expected to fly daily between the two cities.

Yau said more flights could be scheduled if demand for travel grows, but measures would also be in place to suspend travel arrangements should Covid-19 cases in either city surged.

He also said Hong Kong authorities are discussing with Guangdong officials a plan to reopen borders with the mainland as a crucial move to boost the SAR’s economy and tourism sector.


 

Don't Miss