Responsive Ad Slot

Maid FinderFind employer quickly!
Download the App!
Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Trial of indecent assault case reset amid translation challenge

27 December 2018

Eastern Court


By Vir B. Lumicao

The trial in Eastern Court of a Filipina helper accused of indecently assaulting a local Chinese man has been reset for February next year as her lawyer claimed there were mistakes in the translation of her and the alleged victim’s statements.

The trial of Ivy Rebustillo on charges of “common assault” and “indecent assault” was supposed to start on Dec 4, but the duty lawyer assigned to the defendant applied for an
adjournment.



The Filipina pleaded not guilty to both charges on Sept 6.

When Magistrate Vivian Ho asked the lawyer why he was seeking an adjournment on the first day of the trial, he said he needed more time to review the video recorded interview by the police of the alleged victim and take instructions from Rebustillo.



The prosecution said it had a one-hour-and-15-minute video recorded interview with “Mister X” and a 30-minute CCTV footage showing the alleged offenses.

The defense lawyer said he received the translations of his client’s statement and the video recording from the prosecution only a day before the trial.



“It is unfortunate that I am making an application on the day of the trial,” the lawyer said apologetically. He said there seemed to be a communication breakdown.

Magistrate Ho agreed with the statement, then sent the case back to another court which set the trial on Feb. 12 and 13.



Rebustillo was arrested earlier this year after her employer, a daughter of “Mister X”, reported to police that the maid had physically and indecently assaulted the elderly man in their North Point flat on Jun 30.















Don't Miss