Responsive Ad Slot


Buhay Pinay




Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Pinay DH fighting for life after being hit by runaway taxi

28 May 2019

By The SUN
Abunda (center) celebrated her 46th birthday with friends one day before the tragedy
A Filipina domestic helper remains in coma at Queen Mary Hospital tonight, 36 hours after being hit by a taxi which ran out of control in Aberdeen. She had just taken her 10-year-old ward to school when the accident happened.

Marilou P. Abunda, who celebrated her 46th birthday only on Thursday, May 23, was reportedly conscious when taken by police to the hospital, but immediately lapsed into a coma on arrival.
Welfare officer Marivic Clarin who visited Abunda at the hospital only a few hours ago said medical personnel were hesitant to give out information about the patient’s condition but the prognosis did not appear good.

“Pinatingnan naman sa amin pero ayaw magsalita ng mga nurses. Kinalbo na siya dahil may brain hemorrhage,” said Clarin. However, she was not sure if this was in preparation for an operation.
Clarin also said Abunda’s friends had told her the victim sustained the most injuries because she had apparently tried to shield an elderly woman from the runaway taxi.

Abunda’s friends were especially disconsolate because just a day before the tragic accident, they had joined the victim in celebrating her birthday at their hangout in Central.
According to Elenita Rubello, Abunda’s friend and townmate from Hilongos, Leyte, the celebration was simple but fun, with the group sharing food they had prepared and taking photos with the celebrator before parting ways in the  evening.
Image may contain: one or more people
TV video of  the carnage in Aberdeen, shows Abunda (in white) lying in a pool of blood 
Little did they know that tragedy would strike just a few hours after their fun get-together.

Abunda, who has been separated from her husband for years and is childless, has been working for her employer, Chris Lee and his family, for the past 16 years.
Clarin said Lee has been looking after Abunda well, hardly leaving her side while working on getting her relatives fly to Hong Kong as soon as possible to comfort her.

With help from the Consulate and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office, Lee had managed to issue an invitation letter to Abunda’s sister-in-law Jocelyn and niece Loriepel  so they could fly out to Hong Kong immediately to be by the helper’s bedside.
Lee reportedly told Clarin that Abunda had just taken his younger daughter to her school and was waiting to cross a second pedestrian lane near their home when the accident happened.

Photos from the scene of the crash show the steel pole with the traffic light at the pedestrian crossing landing partly on Abunda’s body, and her head resting atop a pool of blood.

Another woman lay unconscious beside her, while an elderly woman is on her other side, sitting up and apparently unharmed.
A police spokeswoman told The SUN that a total of seven people were injured in the crash, which happened at the junction of Aberdeen Main Road and Aberdeen Reservoir Road at 9am yesterday, May 27.
The taxi came to a halt on the opposite side of the road after hitting pedestrians at the junction crossing 
The injured were all taken to hospital, including the 70-year-old taxi driver, who suffered head injuries.

Two women, including Abunda, were admitted in critical condition.

According to the spokeswoman, Abunda was conscious at the scene, and “claimed she had injury on her head.”

Media reports said the driver apparently lost control of his vehicle while going down  Aberdeen Main Road, and plowed into a group of people standing at a pedestrian crossing, before hitting a steel railing and coming to a halt.

However, police said no arrests have been made, and their investigation is continuing.

Rubello said she and her friends only learned about the tragedy late last night, when she saw a message sent from Abunda’s phone saying: “This is Malou’s boss. Pls call me. Urgent.”

Rubello immediately returned the call and learned the sad news. Early this morning, it was passed on to Rodelia Villar, founder of the Domestic Workers Corner online group, who immediately contacted the Consulate and The SUN to get help.
Mas madali nang tawagan ang mga advertiser natin dito. Pindutin lang ang kanilang ad at lalabas ang automatic dialer. Isa pang pindot ay matatawagan mo ang advertiser na hindi na kailangang i-dial ang numero nila. I-try mo!

Don't Miss