Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

HK posts record 52 Covid-19 cases, 41 of them local

13 July 2020

By Vir B. Lumicao

Several case clusters have been reported in restaurants across Hong Kong 

Hong Kong reported a record 52 positive coronavirus cases today, Jul 13, 41 of them locally acquired. They brought the city’s total tally to 1,522.

The death toll also rose to eight tonight, after a 95-year-old resident of the Kong Tai Care for the Aged Centre in Tsz Wan Shan passed away at the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital. She was admitted to hospital on Jul 10 in stable condition, and had no symptoms. However, her condition deteriorated the next day during treatment.

Also tonight, a government statement said a senior immigration assistant tested positive for the coronavirus disease. The officer provided support services at offices on the 14th and 16th floor of the Wan Chai Immigration which were not open to the public.



The Centre for Health Protection said it is still trying to find out the cause of his infection and whether he had been in close contact with other people. 

The steady spike in the number of cases, covering various districts across Hong Kong, led the government to announce this evening a series of new measures to further restrict public gathering.

Of the new cases announced this afternoon, 11 were imported, and they included two Filipino seafarers and an Indonesian domestic helper. One of the Filipinos, a 63-year-old, could not be located after his swab test at the airport yielded a positive result.

PRESS FOR MORE INFORMATION

There were also three other seafarers: two came from India, and the other, Finland, whose whereabouts were also not known.

Under Hong Kong regulations, plane and ship crews are still exempted from the 14-day mandatory quarantine, but are now required to undergo testing on arrival at the borders.

The five other imported cases include a 27-year-old resident who flew in from Pakistan, and a mother and her three young children who all came from India on Jun 30, and tested positive on their 12th day of quarantine.
 
Drs Chuang and Lau at today's press briefing where the record number of new cases was reported
According to Dr. Chuang Shuk-kwan of the CHP’s communicable diseases branch, 21 of the 41 local cases could be linked to earlier cases, but the 20 others are of unknown source.
They include a 49-year-old female nurse who works at the Sacred Heart Oncology Centre in Yaumatei, a cashier at a Park ‘N Shop branch, a real estate agent, a renovation worker, a hotel worker, a restaurant manager in Tsz Wan Shan, and two part-time taxi drivers.

Of the linked cases, three more came from the Kong Tai elderly home, including an 86-year-old male who developed a cough on Jul 11 while under quarantine and was sent to Queen May Hospital where he tested positive for Covid-19.

Another elderly man, the husband of a resident in the old age center who herself was infected, was confirmed today. The man said he visited his wife almost everyday but stayed outside the glass door.

CALL US!

New cluster cases were also reported today in two locations. One was Dim Sum Square in Sheung Wan, where the 54-year-old chef, someone who came into contact with the owner, as well as the owner’s 56-year-old wife, were all confirmed cases.

Chuang said the dimsum owner tested preliminary positive, but is most likely also infected. Another linked case is a taxi driver who had been to the restaurant and drove the shop owner home.

Three confirmed and one probable case were today linked to Dim Sum Square in Sheung Wan

Several more case were linked to Green River Restaurant in Tsz Wan Shan, the Lucky Dragon Palace Restaurant in Choi Wan Commercial Complex, Deluxe Cuisine and Windsor Restaurant in Ma On Shan.

Chuang said anyone who visited these restaurants recently and developed symptoms should consult a doctor immediately.

Dr Lau Kai-yin, chief administrative manager of the Hospital Authority, said there were 88 suspected cases.

He said the Red Cross Blood transfusion service centre received a blood donation report from a patient who had been diagnosed as positive. He had donated blood to the West Kowloon Donor Centre on Jul 5.

Lau said one part of the blood donation, platelets, was received by one of the patients at Queen Elizabeth Hospital and they would arrange for him to be placed in an isolation ward and tested.

He said a total of 241 confirmed patients are currently in 12 hospitals, five of whom were in critical condition, seven in serious condition and the remaining 229 in stable condition.

Don't Miss