Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

3 newly arrived Filipinas and 1 Indonesian among 48 new Covid-19 cases

15 August 2020

By Daisy CL Mandap


3 Filipina domestic workers who flew into HK on Friday tested positive during tests at the airport

Three Filipina domestic helpers who flew in from Manila on Thursday and should have presented a negative swab test result for Covid-19 before boarding their flights to Hong Kong were among 46 new positive cases reported today.

This was according to Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection in the press briefing today, Aug 15.

Pindutin para sa detalye
Asked yesterday about the apparently false negative results presented by a number of Filipinas who are found infected in Hong Kong, Dr Chuang said it was not that significant as they are still made to undergo tests on arrival.

“For all incoming foreign domestic helpers in high-risk countries, we need them to give a test report, but the policy here is we still hold them up until they test negative, so it does not make a difference,” she said.

The Filipinas were among seven imported cases. Three others were returnees from India, who also should have presented a negative rest result for Covid-19 before boarding their flights to Hong Kong, in line with travel restrictions put in place on Jul 25.

The seventh is an air crew staff who flew in from Australia via Singapore.



Also among the new cases is an Indonesian domestic helper who tested preliminary positive yesterday while under quarantine. Case No 4401 had stayed in a boarding house on the seventh floor of Haven Court on Leighton Road in Causeway Bay, along with two other Indonesians who tested positive earlier.

Chuang said the Indonesian helper moved to Haven Court on Jul 29, and was joined there by the two previously infected patients. But between Jul 20 and 28, she lived in another boarding house at 32 Jardine’s Bazaar, also in Causeway Bay.

For the Haven Court residents, Chuang said everyone who was identified as close contacts of the previously infected helpers had all been located and tested. But she said they were still looking into any possible link to the Jardine’s Bazaar hostel.


 
Haven Court in Causeway Bay, where 3 infected Indonesian DHs had stayed 


Among the 39 local cases, 27 are linked to previous infections, and 24 of these involved family members and friends gathering together. The other 12 are from unknown sources.

The most notable among the local cases were the three new infections detected at the Kwai Chung container port, all of them staff of the Wang Kee & Company.

Including the three new cases, Chuang said there are now eight patients from that company, and another five who tested preliminary positive. She said the patient in charge of the company has already been contacted, and about 100 of its staff will be moved to quarantine centers.
Chuang said the staff shared restrooms and changing rooms, and “that maybe the route for transmission.”

Asked if the drop in the number of cases could mean a relaxation of the stringent gathering restrictions imposed by the government, Chuang said she did not think so, citing the 12 cases whose source of infection is unknown.

She also said the daily cases are still higher than the peak number in the second wave, “so I don’t think there is room for relaxation.”

The day’s tally brought the overall infection rate in the city to 4,407, with about 30 other people testing preliminary positive.

One more elderly patient died over the past 24 hours, raising the death toll to 67. The patient was a 69-year-old man who succumbed at Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital.

There are only 780 confirmed patients still in 20 public hospitals and the treatment facilities at Lei Yue Mun and the AsiaWorld-Expo. Twenty-seven are in critical condition, 47 are serious, and 706 are stable.



Don't Miss