Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Filipino fatalities in Beirut blast now 4, as death toll rises to 157

07 August 2020

By The SUN
The 4 Filipinos were among 157 people killed in the blast

The number of Filipinos killed in Tuesday’s massive explosion in Beirut has risen to four, and the injured to 31, the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila announced today, Aug 7.

The Filipinos were among the 157 people killed and 5,000 others injured when 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate long stored in a warehouse in Beirut port detonated, gouging a large hole on the ground and devastating a wide area.
“We are saddened by the latest turn of developments. The higher figure comes as our embassy personnel work to ascertain the condition of the Filipinos in its jurisdiction,” Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Sarah Lou Y. Arriola said.

The Philippine embassy in Beirut confirmed the number of deaths had risen to four, while one Filipina helper was reported missing.

Pindutin para sa detalye

On Tuesday, Labor Secretary Silveste Bello III reported that 11 Filipino crew of a cargo ship at the port were missing, but they were all found alive later that day.

“Two Filipinos remain in critical condition. They are confined and are being monitored at Rizk Hospital,” said Charge d’Affaires Ajeet Panemanglor at the embassy.
“Our embassy officials shall continue to ascertain the condition of our community in Beirut. The DFA reaffirms its commitment to bring the much-needed support and assistance to our kababayans, especially at this hour of need,” Arriola said.

Lebanese officials expected the number of dead and wounded people to increase as search-and-rescue operations continued for those listed as missing under the rubble in areas near the port.
Authorities have taken 16 individuals into custody as part of an investigation into the Beirut port warehouse explosion, state news agency NNA reported.
The Lebanese government has given an investigative committee four days to determine responsibility for the explosion, Foreign Minister Charbel Wehbe told French radio.

Don't Miss