Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Remains of Filipina DH allegedly hit by partner set to return home

07 February 2022

By Daisy CL Mandap

Ivy during a happy time in HK (photo from her sister Analyne)

A Filipino domestic helper who could face charges of either murder or manslaughter over the death of his Filipina girlfriend appeared in Eastern Court again today, Jan. 7.

Bernie Macatangay Valencia, 42, was not asked to make a plea, as the prosecutor again applied for an adjournment pending the result of the autopsy and forensic report on the alleged victim, Ivy V. Quiabang.

Told that the defense had no objection to the application, Magistrate Ada Yim approved the application. She also ordered Valencia remanded in custody until his next court appearance on May 3 after he indicated through his counsel that he did not intend to apply for bail.


Meanwhile, the head of the assistance to nationals section of the Consulate said they are just about to start working on repatriating Quiabang’s remains after getting back her passport from the police today.

Consul Paul Saret, who heads ATN, said the passport will be given to the funeral parlour tomorrow. “Only then can the schedule of the repatriation be finalized by the funeral company,” he said.

The news was welcomed by Quiabang’s sister, Analyne Villaluz, who has contacted various government departments to ensure a speedy repatriation of her sister’s remains, and for justice to be served her.


Villaluz said her sister’s friends in Hong Kong are also asking about the funeral arrangements so they can say a final goodbye to her.

Valencia remains charged with wounding with intent, although the prosecution said during his previous court appearance on Jan 3 that the charge against him could be upgraded to either murder or manslaughter after Quiabang’s death the day before.

He was arrested on the night of Dec 23, after taking an unconscious Quiabang to Ruttonjee Hospital. After investigation, the police took him to court on Christmas Day, to face a charge of intentional wounding.

Press for details

A police report said the couple fought on Dec. 22 at their boarding house on Stone Nullah Lane in Wanchai, which ended with the accused hitting the woman, knocking her out. She was taken to Ruttonjee Hospital the next day, still unconscious.

After doctors saw that Quiabang had suffered brain hemorrhage she was moved to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital where she was operated on, but she never regained consciousness. She passed on at 7:52am on Jan. 2.


Quiabang, who was separated from her husband and had two daughters aged 11 and 15, had worked for the same employer for eight years and was issued her new employment visa on Dec 23.

She was due to start working for her new employer on the day she died.

Valencia, on the other hand, had gone back to the Philippines after working for sometime in Hong Kong. He returned only in September last year, and was looking for a new employer after the previous one relocated abroad.


Don't Miss