Responsive Ad Slot

Maid FinderFind employer quickly!
Download the App!
Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

2 Pinay helpers to stay in jail, will lose jobs for fighting

03 October 2018

The two were charged in Kowloon City court

By Vir B. Lumicao

Two Filipina helpers who figured in a fight that left one scalded on Oct 1 were refused bail after being charged in Kowloon City Court on Oct 3, one with “wounding” and the other, “assault occasioning bodily harm.”

The two, Priscilla Salazar Yra and Belinda Fajardo Anastacio, got into further trouble when the lady prosecutor said their common employer was going to terminate their job contracts as a result of the fight.

Magistrate Woo Huey-fang adjourned the hearing until Oct 31 and ordered the two Filipinas to remain detained at the lady prosecutor’s recommendation.

The prosecutor said she objected to granting bail to both defendants because of the seriousness of their offenses and strong evidence against them.

She said the defendants got into a fight while arguing over work matters at around 10:30am on Oct 1 in unit F, 43rd floor, Tower 2 at The Harbour Side, a luxury residential estate in Yaumatei. Their employers were on a holiday in Thailand then, police said.
They fought in a flat in Harbourside while
their employers were on  holiday 

The prosecutor said Anastacio, 34, slapped 48-year-old Yra in the face and the two women pulled each other’s hair.

During the struggle, Anastacio grabbed a ceramic cup and hit Yra’s right hand with it, causing redness as it broke, the prosecutor said.

In return, Yra took a kettle filled with hot water and doused its content on Anastacio, scalding her chest and left hand.

Police who responded to a report of the fight sent the two women to Queen Elizabeth Hospital where they were treated for their injuries and discharged on the same day, the prosecutor said.

She said as the helpers’ employers were intending to terminate their contracts, they would have no place to stay in Hong Kong, which was why she asked that they be denied bail.

Lawyers for the two had applied for bail for both their clients.

Yra’s lawyer said in his bail application that his client only had $80 in her wallet but could stay in her employment agency’s boarding house if granted bail.

Yra, who had been in Hong Kong since 2013, is said to have separated from her husband 14 years ago and has two daughters who are both married. One of the daughters, along with her husband and son live in Yra’s house.


On the other hand, Anastacio’s lawyer said his client could post $1,500 bail and was willing to surrender her passport and live in her agency’s boarding house.

The helper has been in Hong Kong for just two years and has a clear record. She supports her parents and children in the Philippines.

Magistrate Woo told the defendants to return after eight days for their bail review. In the meantime, she said, they must remain in custody.


Don't Miss