Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

9th Covid-19 death reported, along with 56 new confirmed and preliminary cases

15 July 2020

By The SUN

Two recent fatalities were residents of Kong Tai elderly home, shown here being disinfected (TheStandard photo)

A 90-year-old female resident of a virus-plagued elderly home in Tsz Wan Shan passed away this afternoon, Jul 15, becoming the ninth patient to die from Covid-19 complications in Hong Kong.

According to Dr. Lau Ka-hin, chief manager of the Hospital Authority, the elderly resident of the Kong Tai Care for the Aged home, was reported to have died at 4:45pm at the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan.

The patient, who had diabetes, was admitted to the hospital on Jul 9 with no symptoms, but her condition turned critical yesterday.
She was the second patient from the elderly home to succumb to the disease. On Monday, a 95-year-old female resident of the care home also died, becoming the city’s eighth fatality from the disease.

At today’s press briefing, Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection also reported 19 new confirmed cases, and 37 preliminary positive ones, meaning, they need to test positive a second time to be classified as confirmed.

Asked if this indicated a significant drop in the number of people getting infected in Hong Kong, Dr Chuang urged caution, saying “the reason I am giving you the preliminary positive cases is because I don’t want to give you that false impression.”


She said many of the preliminary positives could be confirmed later on in the evening, indicating that the recent spike of between 40-50 cases per day is far from over.

Of the 19 positive cases, five were imported, or were brought in by people who recently arrived in the city.

Among these are two seafarers from the Philippines, and two domestic workers, one of whom was due to start working in Hong Kong for the first time. The first arrived via Hong Kong Airlines, and the other, on Philippine Airlines.



The fifth infected new arrival was an air crew on a flight that came from India.

Half of the new local cases are linked to earlier cases, but half were again of unknown source.
 
The Tsz Wan Shan estate, where a big number of the recent cases were detected
Among the linked cases is the male employer of a Filipina domestic worker in Tsz Wan Shan who tested positive yesterday.

Another cluster involves a 44-year-old cook at Windsor Restaurant in Tsz Wan Shan, who was found infected along with her two daughters, aged 17 and 19.

CALL US!

Also linked to a previous case is that of 1 57-year-old booking officer at the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, whose husband tested positive earlier.

A third immigration officer assigned to the Immigration Tower in Wanchai was also included in the new cases. The 43-year-old female officer worked on the same floor as two of her colleagues who were found infected earlier.

Special mention was made of three elderly patients at Queen Elizabeth Hospital who tested positive for the virus. The first patient, a 92-year-old woman, was confirmed to have the disease on Monday.

CALL US!

Since then two other patients who stayed in the same ward were also found to have the virus. One is a 77-year-old woman who was in a bed across the first patient, and the second is a 64-year-old cancer patient.

The cases have led calls for elderly patients to be tested for the virus before being admitted to hospitals for unrelated ailments, even if they are asymptomatic.

Lau said that current health protocols require residents in all care homes and those who are in mental wards to be given tests even if they do not show symptoms.


Don't Miss