Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Fears of new wave rise as 14 new Covid-19 cases reported, 9 of them local

07 July 2020

By The SUN
 
Dr Wong says the situation has turned critical since a new local outbreak was reported last weekend
Health officials have warned that the situation in Hong Kong has turned “critical” as they reported 14 new Covid-19 cases, nine of them locally acquired, at a press conference held today, Jul 7.

Of the five imported cases, three were new arrivals from the Philippines, and two from Pakistan. The new cases brought Hong Kong’s total Covid-19 tally to 1,299.

Dr Wong Ka-hing, controller of the Centre for Health Protection, said the situation has worsened considerably since local cases were reported last weekend, ending three weeks of no community transmissions being recorded.



He and other health officials are particularly concerned about a possible outbreak in the Kong Tai Care for Aged Centre Limited in Tsz Wan Shan, after an 85-year-old female resident tested positive for the virus.

Three other residents at the nursing home tested preliminary positive, including a 79-year-old man and a 67-year-old woman. Another resident who had fever, was also sent to hospital.

CHP’s head of the communicable disease branch, Dr Chuang Shuk –kwan, said the tests will be carried out on the other residents at the nursing home. In the meantime, they have all been sent to the Jockey Club PHAB Camp for medical observation.



Perhaps there is an outbreak in the care home, although we are not sure of the source of infections yet,” said Dr Chuang.

In at least four other local cases, the source is also not known, including that of a 40-year-old man who works at the IT department of the Hospital Authority who visited Disneyland earlier this month.

The same is true in the case of another man who works as a chef at the Rich Pot Shabu Shabu in Shek Mun.  His wife, son and daughter were found to have symptoms and were sent to hospital for observation.

Two separate clusters of infection is seen to emerge at two other restaurants.
Three new cases reported today were linked to the Bun Kee Congee and Noodle Foods in Ping Shek Estate in Choi Hung, where two men who worked in the kitchen were earlier confirmed to have the coronavirus disease.

They include a 58-year-old taxi driver who ordered takeaway from the restaurant and his 14-year-old son who ate the food; and a 28-year-old man who had lunch there.
Two of the new cases were linked to Sun Fat Restaurant in Jordan. They are a 68-year-old male waiter in the restaurant, and a 58-year-old diner.

The customer, in turn, appears to have passed on the disease to his 14-year-old son who studies at the Church of Christ in China Rotary Secondary School in Wong Tai Sin.
 
The CCC Rotary School has been shut for two weeks after a student tested positive for Covid-19 today
Chuang said the school has been asked to shut for two weeks for thorough cleansing as a result of the case, and added that all schools must do the same if they have confirmed cases.

Asked if all schools need to be closed again in case of new infections being reported, Chuang said authorities are considering various options and will make an announcement as soon as possible.

As part of ramped-up measures to prevent community transmission, all members of air and sea crew entering Hong Kong through the airport would be required to submit saliva sample from tomorrow.

Previously, they were not made to undergo Covid-19 screening, or undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine required of all incoming travelers from abroad.

















Don't Miss