Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Case filed by kin of FDH in Mid-Levels death fall dismissed

18 April 2021

By Vir B. Lumicao 

Diola left behind her common-law-husband Jose and their son, Vivejo

A compensation claim filed by the heirs of a Filipina domestic worker who fell to her death from her employer’s Mid-Levels apartment more than six years ago was dismissed on Friday, Apr 16, after neither party appeared for the court hearing.


District Court judge Katina Levy ordered the case dropped after the common-law husband of the deceased, Ruby Ann Diola, or his representatives, failed to show up for the hearing. Also a no-show was employer Cheung Yeuk Lee.


It is not clear if the case could be refiled by claimants Virginio V. Jose and Vivejo, his son with Diola.

The father-and-son were represented in court initially by Edwina Antonio, case officer of the Mission for Migrant Workers. But when interviewed on the phone, Antonio said another non-government organization had taken over the case, and she was not aware why it was no longer pursued.


Diola, a native of Palo, Leyte, fell to her death on Oct 23, 2014 from the residential tower on Robinson Road where Cheung lived. It took the police a year to rule out foul play and classify the case as “death by falling”.

Pindutin para sa detalye

During a hearing of the case in June 2017, Judge Levy said she was not sure if Antonio had the capacity to represent Jose under Hong Kong law.

Call us!

The judge also said Cheung should have been at the hearing because she was the employer of the deceased, and had been fined $5,000 for failing to take out a domestic helper’s insurance on Diola.


Diola lived with Jose and their son in Lingayen, where they operated a mineral water business, until she came to work in Hong Kong as a domestic worker in 2014.

She terminated her contract with her first employer in May 2014 and was hired by Cheung through an agency.

Pindutin para sa detalye

According to the statement made by 67-year-old Jose to the police, Diola told him in phone conversations that she was taken by Cheung to Beijing where the Filipina was made to work for about a month without a contract.

Tunghayan ang isa na namang kwentong 

Diola was taken afterwards to Macau by the employer’s grown-up son to wait for her Hong Kong visa there. She finally got it in September, 2014, after staying in the enclave for two months.

A month later, Diola was found lifeless beside the swimming pool in Cheung's residential block. She was just 26.



Don't Miss