Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Indonesian DH dies, Filipina back in critical condition after vaccination

21 May 2021

By Daisy CL Mandap 

Gemalyn Gabon is back in intensive care at Princess Margaret Hospital

A 31-year-old Filipina domestic helper is in critical condition again at Princess Margaret Hospital, a week after being rushed there when she started having convulsions shortly after taking her second dose of the BioNTech vaccine.

The news comes as the Department of Health reported the death of a 44-year-old Indonesian domestic helper today, May 21, nine days after she received her second BioNTech jab.


In both cases, the DH has initially ruled out vaccination as the cause.

A staff at the Hospital Authority said Filipina Gemalyn L. Gabon was moved back to intensive care yesterday when her condition deteriorated.

Pindutin para sa detalye

Welfare Officer Virsie Tamayao of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration confirmed the report, saying Gabon’s employer had informed her that the worker suffered another seizure attack after being moved to a regular ward.

The Filipina had collapsed at the Lai Chi Kok Park CVC on May 13 within minutes of getting her second jab. A video taken of the incident showed her shaking on a hospital bed as she was wheeled away to an ambulance.

Call us!

The single mother’s condition was initially listed as critical, but this was downgraded to serious three days later when she managed to speak to relatives, both face-to-face and online.

Medical inquiries revealed she had a recent history of hypertension and epileptic-like seizures when she was young.

The Indonesian helper was declared dead at Kwong Wah Hospital

In the case of the Indonesian helper, the DH said in a statement that was “no clinical evidence” to show that the woman’s death was caused by her having received the vaccine.

Pindutin para sa detalye

The statement said the patient did not report feeling unwell after receiving her second jab at a community vaccination centre on May 5.

But the DH said it will contact the Hospital Authority for more information, and pass the case on to the Expert Committee which will further assess the cause of death.



The Coroner will also look into the case.

According to media reports the Indonesian DH fell unconscious in a flat at the Cascades Block 2 in Ho Man Tin. She was rushed to Kwong Wah Hospital but was declared dead on arrival.

Tunghayan ang isa na namang kwentong Dream Love

The woman reportedly felt unwell yesterday, but it is not known whether she had a pre-existing medical condition.





Don't Miss