Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Filipino sea crew one of 3 new Covid-19 cases

08 July 2021

By The SUN 

The Filipino seafarer took Asiana from Manila to Seoul, then on to HK where he tested positive

A Filipino seafarer who came to Hong Kong from the Philippines via Seoul, South Korea, is among three confirmed Covid-19 cases today, Jul 8.

Despite a ban on passenger flights from the Philippines, sea crew and other exempted persons are allowed to transit through a third country not listed as “extremely high risk” and board a flight to Hong Kong.


According to staff at the Center for Health Protection, the specimen sample taken from the 51-year-old Filipino seafarer was not enough to determine if he carried a coronavirus variant.

The Filipino took Asiana Airlines flight OZ 721 from Seoul and arrived in Hong Kong early on Jul 6. He would have taken an Asiana flight from Manila the previous night.

Call now!

However, the two other confirmed imported cases today both tested positive for the L452R variant.

One of them was a 45-year-old male cabin crew who flew in from Russia on Jul 6 aboard flight RL9933. He was asymptomatic but tested positive at the airport.


Reports indicate the air crew had been fully vaccinated with the Russian-made vaccine Satellite V, with the two doses being completed on Feb 17 and Mar 9, respectively.

The other was a 15-year-old male student who had flown in from the United Kingdom on Jun 30 via flight CX 252. He developed symptoms and tested positive for the variant on his seventh day of quarantine at Lan Kwai Fong Hotel.


The three new infections took Hong Kong’s Covid-19 tally to 11,948 confirmed and one probable case.

The overnight lockdown of the Tai Kok Tsui building yielded no infection (RTHK photo)

Meanwhile, health authorities said no coronavirus case was found after an overnight lockdown of Chung Mei Building in Tai Kok Tsui, where a man who tested positive for the L452R mutant strain in Australia on Jun 29, had lived.

CHP ordered the lockdown after being notified yesterday of the 52-year-old man’s infection.

About 1,200 people residing in 570 flats in the building were tested during the lockdown, which ended at 7am today. The door was not answered in about 100 other flats, and officials said they would follow up on those living there who did not get tested.

Don't Miss