Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

543 new Covid-19 cases reported, 204 of them from schools

06 June 2022

By The SUN

3 classes at Funful Kindergarten in Kowloon Tong were suspended after 12 students were found infected

A total of 204 Covid-19 cases were reported from 147 schools today, but health officials say they did not indicate any outbreak.

Speaking at the daily press briefing, Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection said, "Each school may have one or two cases mostly, and a few of them have more than two or three cases, so this reflects the situation in the community. This may not reflect there is an outbreak in those schools.”

Still, the CHP ordered the partial suspension of classes in two schools that were hit by the infections.


At Kowloon Tong Funful English Primary School three classes have been suspended for a few days after a dozen students were stricken with the virus. Four of them had joined a basketball training on Friday, despite the holiday.

One class was also suspended at Fuk Wing Street Government Primary School in Sham Shui Po after four students tested positive for Covid.

A total of 543 new infections were reported for the day, of which 211 were confirmed via PCR test and the remaining 332 were self-declared positive results from rapid antigen tests.

An unusually high 86 imported cases were reported, including 42 that were detected on arrival at the airport and 39 during the seven-day hotel quarantine. The five others were found after the newly arrived travelers had finished their isolation.

They took the overall tally from the fifth wave of the infection to 1,215,696. No deaths were recorded for the day, so the tally in the same period remained at 9,173.

Of the RAT positive results reported on Friday, only 75 percent were confirmed in follow-up PCR tests. The remaining 25 percent of the cases either tested negative or the people involved refused to provide specimens for checks.

Chuang again warned that it's illegal to declare a false positive Covid result

Chuang reiterated that if they suspect that people had deliberately provided false positive results they could be referred to the authorities for investigation and possible prosecution.

Those found guilty of the offence face up to $10,000 in fines and six months in jail.

Meanwhile the number of cases linked to two bars in Central has risen. An additional 15 infections were found among customers at LINQ bar, pushing the total tally to 93; while at Shuffle, 16 cases were added, driving up the total count to 85.


No new cases were reported for Zentral and Iron Fairies, the two other bars where outbreaks were discovered two weekends ago.

Chuang said their investigations showed the clusters of cases there were likely local infections.

Two more cases of Omicron sub-variant BA.2.12.1 were found, including a staff member of Café Crepe on Wellington Street in Central where a family linked to the cluster at McDonald’s in Cityplaza had eaten.

The second case is a family member of a previously identified case living in Taikoo Shing.

Dr Lau Ka-hin of the Hospital Authority said 367 patients are receiving treatment at public hospitals and medical facilities, including 20 who were newly admitted.

Among them, 11 are in critical condition, including six who are in intensive care, while seven are in serious condition.

A total of 50,146 have been discharged from the hospitals since the outbreak of the fifth wave early this year.

Don't Miss