Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Policeman tests positive for Covid-19 after Sinovac jab

17 March 2021

By Daisy CL Mandap  

Police and other security personnel were in the 2nd priority group for the vaccine 

Health authorities have dismissed concerns that the coronavirus vaccine from Sinovac is ineffective after it emerged that a police officer who tested positive yesterday along with three members of his family had been inoculated two days earlier.

“This case has nothing to do with vaccination,” said Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan from the Centre for Health Protection, who reported 11 new Covid-19 cases today.

Call now!

According to Chuang, the policeman and three members of his family had met on Mar 7 with a kid from Kowloon Tong Primary School who was found infected subsequently.

On Mar 12, the officer took the Sinovac jab, and on Mar 14, he and his family members tested positive for Covid-19 after being tagged as close contacts of the initial case.

Pindutin para sa detalye

Chuang said “it was possible that he was already infected when he was vaccinated,” pointing out that the family had been exposed to the earlier case days before the inoculation.

“We believe that they had already been infected when tested on Mar 14th, only two days after the first dose of the vaccine,” she said.


She added the CHP does not consider the vaccine “ineffective” because it takes two doses before the inoculation is completed. And even after that, there should be another two weeks’ wait before the vaccine gains full efficacy.

But in any event, she said the panel of experts commissioned to look into possible side-effects of vaccines will be asked to make a “causal assessment” of the case.


Of the new cases today, six were linked to previous infections. Five were traced back to the outbreak at Ursus Fitness in Sai Ying Pun, which according to Chuang, now has a total of 132 cases: 7 staff, 87 customers and 38 close contacts.

The girl's parents tested positive during a lockdown of Dynasty Court on Old Peak Road

The sixth linked case was that of three-year-old daughter of a couple who works at the United States Consulate. Her parents were declared as confirmed cases yesterday, one day after being tested during an overnight lockdown of Dynasty Court on Old Peak Road where they live. All of them were asymptomatic.


As a concession to their family circumstances, the couple was allowed to bring their two young daughters with them to hospital last night when they were admitted for isolation and treatment.

But after their cases were confirmed, the US Consulate was closed for disinfection and was put under a compulsory testing order. The same order was issued for the Woodland and Montessori pre-school on Caine Road where the girl was a student.


Three of the new cases were imported, including two Filipina domestic workers, aged 31 and 39, who both tested positive on their 12th day of hotel quarantine. The third patient is a 49-year-old man who came from Bulgaria, and was also found infected on his second test.

None of them had the highly infectious coronavirus variant.

The two cases with unknown sources included a 27-year-old male bartender at Mr Brown in Wanchai, and a 57-year-old housewife in Homantin.

Hong Kong’s total Covid-19 tally is now 11,341 with 287 patients still being treated in 24 public hospitals and the treatment facility at North Lantau Hospital.




Don't Miss