Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Cancer-stricken FDW passes on a week after returning home

13 December 2021

By Daisy CL Mandap 

Yasis passed on just months after being diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer (file photo from FB)

For more than a month, she fought on bravely against late-stage cancer, and had only one thing in mind – that she could go back home one last time to be with her family.

Luningning C. Yasis, 51, managed to fulfill that when, after several aborted attempts to go home courtesy of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, she was finally able to fly out to Manila on Dec. 3.


She was taken directly to Rizal Medical Center in Pasig City, where, apparently spent but happy to have attained her wish, she passed away on Dec 10, exactly a week after she touched Philippine soil again. A wake was later held for her at St Peter’s Memorial Chapel in Daet, Camarines Norte.

According to records of the Mission for Migrant Workers Lou was married but childless. She had worked in Hong Kong since 2006, or a total of 15 years.  


When her previous employment contract expired in late October, Lou moved to another employer and was just waiting for her new visa to be released when she was hit by the shocking news that she had stage 4 abdominal cancer.

With help from the Mission she reluctantly agreed to be admitted to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital on Oct 28 when she started bleeding and had fever.

Lou spent 40 days in Eastern Hospital before she was allowed to go home

On Nov 8, she contacted The SUN to ask if there was a way she could be discharged. “Paulit-ulit lang naman ang ginagawa sa akin,” she said. (They just keep repeating the procedures done on me).


She was prevailed upon to stay after being told how lucky she was to have people looking after her, even while she no longer had an employment visa, and was not technically entitled to any medical benefit in Hong Kong.

Left unsaid was that she was not in a good shape to go home as she was not even allowed to see visitors. She also had to undergo blood transfusions repeatedly as she kept bleeding and often had fever, suggesting a persistent infection.


But as she was determined to fly home, Lou tried her best to eat, and would often request friends for dishes that she thought would improve her appetite.

She also cultivated a friendship with Weng, a Filipina overstayer with the same type of cancer, who was equally determined to get well so she could go home and be with her three grown-up kids.


After she was finally allowed to undergo chemotherapy, Lou again experienced a recurrent fever and nausea that she could barely eat.

Despite this, Lou took time to send out a message asking for prayers for Weng, who had been moved to the intensive care unit. Between the two of them, Weng was more upbeat, but Lou did not seem to have any major difficulty apart from her loss of appetite post-chemo.

Pindutin para sa detalye

But although she kept turning down offers of home-cooked food to help stimulate her appetite, Lou was visibly gladdened when a friend sent her some soft bread and chilled juice on the eve of her flight home.

“Thank you so much. Ang sarap ng juice, malamig pa,” she said. (The juice was so good as it was still cold).

She also apologized for not responding to earlier messages, saying she had been busy entertaining some student doctors “for educational purposes.”

Her last message was on Dec 2 when again, she mentioned Weng still being in ICU before adding, “Uuwi na po ako pagkatapos ng dalawang postponement.” (After two postponements, I am finally going home).

Having fulfilled her simple wish, Lou must have seen no more reason to keep up her struggle against the disease that put her through so much pain in so short a time.

(Those who wish to send a donation to Lou’s family can do so through GCash No 09215475200 in the name of  her sister, Teresita Yasis Manumbas).


Don't Miss