Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Newly arrived Filipina among 16 new Covid-19 cases

11 April 2020

By The SUN

The Filipina flew from Manila to HK on Apr 8

A Filipina who arrived from Manila two days ago is among the 16 new Covid-19 cases confirmed today, Apr 10, which raised Hong Kong’s total tally to 990.

The 38-year-old Filipina reportedly went to the Philippines for a vacation between Mar 17 to Apr 8, when she flew back into Hong Kong. She was on mandatory home quarantine and showed no symptoms when her test results returned a positive result. She is now in isolation at North District Hospital.

All, except one, case involved people with recent travel history.
The only known locally acquired case is that of a 28-year-old man who was infected after his girlfriend visited All Night Long Bar in Tsim Sha Tsui, which is tied to a big cluster of cases. He lost his sense of taste and smell on Mar 28 and is now confined in Tuen Mun Hospital.

Meanwhile, the Consulate will close for three days next week, Apr 14 to 16, for cleaning and disinfection, effectively extending its long holiday starting from Thursday, Apr 9, for 10 days, or until Saturday, Apr 18.
 
The PCG advisory announcing the effective  10-day closure was posted on Apr 9
The unexpected closure led to a number of Filipinos asking what would happen to their passport appointments on the days the Consulate decided to close for disinfection.

However, the notice on the Consulate’s Facebook page says “all clients with confirmed appointments will receive a notice regarding new appointment dates.”
But there was no explanation why the disinfection is being carried out on what should be working days for the Consulate, given that it was already closed down for a week previously due to a string of holidays.

In another development, Hong Kong health officials have warned against complacency, as thousands of residents took advantage of good weather at the start of a long Easter holiday to go to the beach and other popular gathering places.


Many people were encouraged to leave their homes after a big dip in the number of new infections


On Thursday, many people heaved a sigh of relief after the number of new Covid-13 cases dipped to a three-week low of 13, but the Centre for Health Protection’s Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan  said it was too early to say the infection is on the decline.

“I observed that many people are on the streets,” Chuang said. “If people relax their practice of maintaining social-distancing rules, there may be a new wave of infections by asymptomatic cases.”
Other health officials are warning of the public health system being overloaded, given that the number of infections each day is still more than the number of patients being discharged from hospitals after recovering.

To underline this problem, health authorities are now planning to send people in quarantine camps home after 10 days, or four days earlier, to free up much-needed space. The quarantine camps are said to be already 70 to 80 percent full.

On top of this, recovering patients who no longer show symptoms are already being moved from isolation rooms to isolation wards, to give way to new patients.

While the number of coronavirus tests had dropped to between 2,000 to 3,000 a day compared to a peak of 5,000, Chuang said the decline was due to fewer arrivals and the number of suspected cases admitted to hospitals.

It does not mean there could be no more local outbreaks because many of those who tested positive recently are asymptomatic.

Don't Miss