Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

48 new Covid-19 cases reported today, half of them with unknown source

14 July 2020

By The SUN

Two of the FDHs who tested positive today live in Tsz Wan Shan

Government health experts have expressed alarm at the widening spread of Covid-19 cases in Hong Kong, with half of the 48 new cases reported today, Jul 14, with no known source.

Of the new cases, eight are imported, and they include at least four Filipinos: one 52-year-old seaman, and three domestic helpers.

The seaman and two of the helpers, aged 32 and 40, arrived via Cathay CX 906 flight from Manila yesterday.
The third, a 30-year-old domestic helper, tested positive along with her 67-year-old female employer, one day after the elderly woman’s son who lives with them in Tsz Lok Estate in Tsz Wan Shan, was found infected.

Another foreign domestic helper whose nationality was not disclosed, also tested positive. She often went to the market, also in the heavily infested Tsz Wan Shan district. Her employer’s family is now being tested while under quarantine.

Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection said the growing number of new infections is a cause for concern, but more worrying was the number of cases with no known source spread out across most districts in the city.


Since Jul 6, the number of local cases has ballooned to 202 today, with 78 of them coming from unknown source.

“Half of the reported cases today we have an unknown source, so it is very worrying because the cases can spread in the community, and also we do not have a definite source – that means there are a lot of unknown sources in the community that can spread easily, and they may be asymptomatic,” Chuang said.

They include today’s case of four family members living in Tsz Wan Shan, and a 19-year-old man who often walked around the district.

CALL US!

The elderly home, Kong Tai Care for the Aged, which had several of its residents and staff falling ill, is located in the same district. Hong Kong’s eighth fatality, a 95-year-old woman who succumbed to complications from Covid-19 last night, was also a resident.

A 61-year-old female worker at Café de Coral in Choi Hung tested positive, along with her husband with whom she lives in Ngau Chi Wan. There were also two construction workers who worked and lived in different districts, and a cleaner at Prince of Wales Hospital, whose husband who drives a taxi part-time, was found infected earlier.

There were also several cases of concern.
 
Two immigration officers who both worked on the 14th floor of Immigration Tower in Wanchai also tested positive
One involves two immigration officers, a male and a female, who both work on the 14th floor of the Immigration Tower in Wanchai. Their workplace has been disinfected, and health authorities are checking their close contacts.

Another is a 77-year-old patient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei who stayed in the same ward as a previously confirmed case.
Dr Lau Ka Kin, chief manager of the Hospital Authority, said experts are still trying to find out the source of the infection.

The HA is looking into the case of a patient who underwent heart surgery at Princess Margaret Hospital who felt unwell a day after he was discharged, and subsequently tested positive for Covid-19.

A nurse who was attending to the patient when he coughed without a mask, as well as 14 patients who stayed in the same ward as him, have been quarantined as close contacts.
CALL ME!

Don't Miss