Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

13 new Covid-19 cases reported, as late reporting seen behind 1 death

28 August 2020

By Daisy CL Mandap

CHP records show the patient developed symptoms 10 days before he was rushed to hospital, where he died within hours.

A failure to immediately detect the spread of Covid-19 in a family in Tseung Kwan-O appears to have led to the death of one member last Wednesday.

This emerged as Hong Kong health officials reported 13 new cases today, Aug 28, the second lowest tally since early July. Last Monday, only 9 cases were recorded.

Today’s cases included three imported, and 10 locally acquired. Seven of the local cases were linked to previous infections, while three were of unknown source.
Among those linked today were three members of a family in Tseung Kwan-O, including the 59-year-old father who died in hospital on Wednesday before he could be classified as a confirmed case.

Investigations showed the patient had been sick for 10 days before he was rushed to hospital, already critically ill. Other family members developed symptoms even earlier.

The deceased's infection was confirmed today, along with that of his 54-year-old wife, who works as a delivery worker for Food Panda; and their 30-year-old son.
Records released by the Centre for Health Protection showed that the wife had the earliest onset of symptoms on Aug. 12, followed by the son the next day. The father developed symptoms on Aug 16, but for some reason, did not seek immediate medical attention.

He was rushed to TKO Hospital on Aug 26 in critical condition and had to be resuscitated, then intubated, to no avail. After his death, samples taken by doctors showed he was preliminary positive for the virus.

According to CHP’s Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan at today’s daily press briefing, tests done on another son and a daughter of the couple yielded negative results for the virus. But both were found to have developed antibodies.
“One of the sons has antibodies, so maybe that patient was a cryptic patient so he could be the source,” said Dr Chuang.

She also allayed fears that the mother could have passed on the virus during her food deliveries, saying the patient always wore masks so her customers were not classified as close contacts.

Also among the linked cases is another resident at a hostel for mentally disabled people in Lei Muk Shue estate in Kwai Chung. A second resident tested preliminary positive.
Residents of the Lei Muk Shue care home have been moved to the treatment facility at AsiaWorld-Expo
There are altogether more than a dozen infections detected at the facility, including both staff and residents. All the 50 or so staff have been put in quarantine centers, while the residents have been moved, and are being looked after at the AsiaWorld-Expo treatment facility.

Another linked case is a nurse who works at the private clinic of Dr Tse Kin-wah in Yuen Long.
Apart from the Food Panda delivery worker, the two other untraceable cases are a student who works parttime at a deli shop and a property agent who worked in Mei Foo and Central.
The three imported cases are an air crew who traveled to the United States and Bahrain, a pilot who arrived from Russia, and a returnee from Pakistan.

Dr. Sara Ho from the Hospital Authority said two patients passed away in the last 24 hours. Together with the TKO patient who succumbed to coronavirus-related ailment  yesterday and was confirmed positive today, they raised the death toll to 84.

The latest fatalities were a 91-year-old man who passed away at 7:54 this morning at United Christian Hospital; and a 76-year-old man who died at 10.25am in Tuen Mun Hospital. Both patients had chronic diseases.

Of the city’s total Covid-19 tally of 4,769, only 397 are still being treated at 18 public hospitals and the AWE treatment facility. Of these, 25 are  in critical condition, 34 are in serious condition, and 330 are stable.

Call us now!
Don't Miss