Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Buhay Pinay

Features

People

Sports

Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

2 quarantined Indo helpers among 18 new Covid-19 cases

20 August 2020

By The SUN

Five Indonesian DHs who stayed in a boarding house in this building have tested positive for Covid-19

Two Indonesian domestic helpers who had stayed in separate boarding houses tested positive while under quarantine, and were among 18 new Covid-19 cases reported today, Aug 20.

Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection said at today’s press briefing that the low number of cases today could be due to the small number of sample bottles collected yesterday because of the hoisting of Typhoon Signal No 8 in the morning.

Only one imported case was included in today’s tally, involving a returnee who flew in aboard Air India flight AI 314 on Aug 14, with several passengers who immediately tested positive at the airport, prompting the government to impose a flight ban on the airline for two weeks.
Dr Chuang said there are now 14 cases linked to that flight, although some, like the new case today, belonged to family clusters.

Of the two new infected Indonesian helpers, one reportedly stayed in a boarding house in Chung Hing Mansion in Mong Kok, where four cases have already been detected.

The other helper stayed in a dormitory in Tsuen Wan run by the David Cheung employment agency, where five other Indonesian workers who tested positive earlier spent time.
Both helpers were put in quarantine centers after several other Indonesian helpers who stayed in the same lodging houses were found infected.

Dr Chuang said the helper who stayed in the David Cheung shelter was quarantined on Aug 9, and tested positive on her second specimen sample.
The one who lived in Cheung Hing was moved by her agency to another dormitory on Fa Yuen street, also in Mong Kok,  on Aug 15. She stayed there alone until her test result showed she was infected.


Chuang said she was not aware of the progress of testing being done in agency-run shelters, as this is being done under the direction of the Labour Department.

But in a press briefing on Monday, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said only 900 test bottles have been turned in by agencies, despite estimates that around 6,000 FDHs are currently staying in dormitories while waiting for their employment visas to be released.
 
CE Lam says the spread of the virus in agency shelters is a cause for concern (File)
Also among the new linked cases were three staff of Wang Kee company in the Kwai Tsing container terminal, where more than 50 people have previously tested positive for Covid-19. Health officials believe the outbreak came from the shared living quarters of the company personnel.

Chuang said about 3,700 specimen samples from staff in the container terminal have already been tested, and another 1,000 have been handed in for testing.
Dr Lau Ka-hin from the Hospital Authority said another elderly patient, a 92-year-old woman, died at 8:48am today in Queen Elizabeth Hospital, raising the total death toll to 73.

Of the 4,605 total cases recorded in Hong Kong so far, 660 remain confined in 19 public hospitals and the treatment facility at AsiaWorld-Expo. Thirty-one of them are in critical condition, 35 are serious, and 594 are in stable condition.





Don't Miss