Responsive Ad Slot




Buhay Pinay



Philippine News

Join us at Facebook!

Filipina DH distraught over job loss jailed 14 days for hitting male nurse

27 August 2021

By Vir B. Lumicao 

The Filipina hit the male nurse after being taken to North Lantau Hospital

A terminated Filipina domestic worker who admitted assaulting a nurse in the hospital where she was taken after feeling unwell due to worries about her visa, was sentenced to 14 days in jail today, Aug. 27, by a West Kowloon magistrate.

C. Fronda, 52, admitted attacking the nurse on Aug 4 when she appeared before Magistrate Ivy Chui.

The prosecution said a distraught Fronda was taken to the accident and emergency department of North Lantau Hospital by ambulance around 6:30am on that day.


Shortly before 10 am, she suddenly turned emotional and uncooperative while being examined by doctors. When she continued being aggressive, the doctors ordered her transferred to a bed with restraints.

Fronda resisted the transfer, and hit the left side of Mak Ko-wai’s head twice with her left fist as she tried to break free.

The 33-year-old nurse underwent a checkup after complaining of dizziness, headache and photophobia after the attack, but had no sign of external injury.

Call us!

At 10:30 am on the same day, a police investigator came, and after inspecting the scene of the incident, ordered the helper’s arrest.

Fronda remained in North Lantau Hospital until Aug 13, when she was transferred to Kwai Chung Hospital for further medical treatment.

A week later she was discharged and was escorted to the North Lantau Police Station where she was detained for a further seven days.


The prosecution said that in a video interview on the evening of Aug 20, the defendant admitted the assault but said she had no intention of hurting anybody.

Fronda admitted the assault after being confined in hospital for 16 days

The next day she was taken to court before Magistrate Chui and informed about the charge against her.

Immigration records show Fronda’s contract was terminated prematurely by her employer on Jul 26, and she was given a visa extension.

Pindutin para sa detalye

One of her friends who was in court said Fronda then moved in with her previous employer, who was a relative of the employer who fired her.

On the day of the incident, Fronda reportedly started feeling unwell due to her visa extension problem.

This prompted her former employer to call for medical help, but Fronda resisted being taken to hospital, insisting she was not mentally stressed.

In mitigation, the defense lawyer told the court Fronda came to Hong Kong about 10 years ago to work as a domestic helper.

Her husband drives a tricycle to help support their two sons, aged 10 and 12, who are in grade school.

Before she was fired, Fronda was earning $4,630 a month, most of which she sent home.

The lawyer pointed out that his client had pleaded guilty and was very remorseful.

The magistrate said she took these into account in sentencing the defendant to 14 days in jail.


Don't Miss